After peeking at this Thrillist article with the same title, I don’t think peeking in a beer bar’s cold box to inspect the lines is exactly a simple way to tell if a beer bar is serious. Here’s eight easier ways to tell if a beer bar is serious:
- A draft board or menu that is not current and/or has typos? Not serious.
- Has all shaker pint glasses? Not fucking serious.
- All beers from one or two distributors? Nope, not serious.
- Has domestic and imports? Not serious.
- Has a crap tap? Not at all serious.
- Servers that don’t speak beer? Not serious.
- See a keg in the dining room or back in the bathroom area? Tap it to see if it’s full or empty. Is it full? The bar isn’t serious. Beer should be kept in a cold box or cellar temp.
- Frosty mugs? Dirty glassware? 400 TV’s? Not serious.
That is one thrilling list.