Crafting a good beer cocktail isn’t wizardry. Nor does it have to be gimmicky. As a true beer geek and homebrewer at heart who loves a good classic cocktail, I took it upon myself to put together a few cocktail classics with beer as a major component. The first one in my series is the Beergroni, because Negroni week is June 1-7!
The Negroni is a call to Florence, Italy. With a cigarette in one hand and a Negroni in the other, this bitter apéritif is usually sipped before a big meal. Traditionally equal parts gin, Campari and sweet vermouth, my first taste of this classic cocktail brought me back to my first time sipping a Stone Arrogant Bastard…the inspiration for this drink.
For the Beergroni, I broke down the flavor components and stripped out the ones that can be replaced by a particular beer. Instead of sweet vermouth and botanicals in gin, I chose the rich malt backbone and hoppy finish of an Imperial red ale. For the heat, I chose a clean lower ABV Acai spirit vodka made by Veev. It’s subtle fruity note balances out the drink without too much booze. Veev is also a carbon-neutral spirit producer, which is a good conversation starter while marrying a local beer with an earth-friendly booze.
The Beergroni Recipe
- 2oz Imperial Red Ale or Malty Double IPA, Choose one:
- 2oz Campari
- 2oz Veev Acai Spirit Vodka
- Shaved orange peel for garnish
Chill a glass before starting. Combine ingredients in shaker over crushed ice. Shake openly with vigour to expel beer gas without explosions. Strain into chilled glass, add orange peel. Proper glassware: Lowball glass use cocktail ice. Martini glass or high stemware, ice optional.
- 320 Main – 320 Main St. Seal Beach, CA
- Anepalco Restaurant – 3737 West Chapman Ave. Orange, CA
- Bosscat Kitchen and Libations – 4647 Macarthur Blvd. Newport Beach, CA
- Broadway by Amar Santana – 328 Glenneyre St. Laguna beach, CA
- Hammer Workshop & Bar – 440 South Anaheim Blvd. Anaheim, CA
Mesa – 725 Baker St. Costa Mesa, CA
Pizzeria Mozza Newport Beach – 800 W. Coast Hwy. Newport Beach, CA
- Social Costa Mesa – 512 W. 19th St. Costa Mesa, CA
The Blind Rabbit – 440 S. Anahiem Blvd. Ahaheim, CA
- The Mixing Glass – 3133 Hyland Ave. Costa Mesa, CA
- The North Left – 400 N Broadway Santa Ana, Ca 92701
- Twenty Eight OC – 19530 Jamboree Rd. Irvine, CA 92612