When I think of Stone Brewing’s brand, a few things come to mind: Arrogance, Gargoyles, and Gregface? With all of that evil, unabashed, medieval company image, why would they possibly want a gaping-maw headshot of their CEO to get stuck my head? I guess Greg Koch, co-founder and CEO of Stone Brewing Co. isn’t the average craft beer overlord.
Koch’s speeches are often referred to as “beer sermon”. Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens in Escondido? “Beer Mecca”. I strongly believe Greg is a direct decendent of Martin Luther who in the 1500’s nailed 95 issues with the Pope and Catholosism to the church’s door, thus creating the Lutheran Church. If Greg Koch were to post 95 things wrong with BudMillerCoors and hammer it to the doors of their corporate offices, I would perhaps join the cult, die my hair green, and worship the almighty hop.
Stone disciples worship the company for many reasons:
- They pioneered the West Coast IPA style which is a benchmark for comparison.
- Stone’s charge in the craft beer revolution, which, by the way, is working quite well.
- Stone’s collaborations with other breweries that keep the community interesting and strong.
- Lets not forget their great line up of fresh, in your face beers that are balanced, interesting and delicious!
The only thing I don’t like about Stone? Their use of the 1987 Waynes World slogan about being “worthy“. Mice nuts, I know. Asphynctersayswhat. “What?”, Exactly. Party time! Excellent! diddlydiddlydiddlydiddly (air guitar).
Oh hey! They released a book! The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance. The book encompasses the Stone Brewing story, info on all of their beers, and recipes for food and homebrew!
Oh hey! This Thursday 11/17 from 6:30-8pm, Greg Koch and Steve Wagner of Stone Brewing Co. will be on hand at Bruery Provisions in Orange to sign books, do a tap takeover, and scare children with the G-Face. Perhaps Greg can do an imprint of the famous Gregface on the screen of my Kindle with his fresh organic facial oils. I’ll do my O-face if that happens! It’s no Shroud of Turin, but it’ll do.
- Greg will be speaking!
- 10 Stone Beers on tap. Two Stone flights w/paired cheese plates will be available. (I’ll share details when I get them)
- 4 different bottles of archived Stone beer sold at limited release.
- Stone shirts, glasswear, and sauces will be available. I like sauces!