Ah, Fall is here. As the weather cools and the leaves begin to change…WAIT, WHAT? The leaves stay green and it’s hotter than Anne Hathaway in a cat suit! That doesn’t seem to stop local brewers from putting out Autumn seasonals. Nothing satiates on a hot day like a thick frosty nut brown ale in your mouth! GULP.
Thankfully we have Oktoberfest Märzen beer within the season which has natural drinkability™. Crisp German-style Lagers are great lawnmower beers on a hot day or if Anne Hathaway were to make a surprise visit.
Note: If you are Anne reading this: I’ll keep some Vegan Kielbasa in the freezer if you decide to swing by as I heard you like polish-style things in your mouth. Wow that sounded creepy! I’m really not that creepy Anne! They don’t call me “King Kielbasa” for nothing! Okay I made that up, nobody has ever called me that. Just the voices in my head! HAHAHA!!! I’m totally joking of course. I’ve never been arrested like that Follieri jerk you were dating. We can unleash your inner-nerd and play some scrabble! I can even show you my home-made Anne Hathaway inspired doll collection I made entirely out of maple bar donuts and bacon strips!
Speaking of maple bar donuts with bacon strips, did you hear Deschuttes Brewery might be doing a collaboration beer with Portland based Voodoo Doughnuts? Yep, a beer that will have notes of their famous maple bacon doughnut. A rauch maple porter sure sounds delicious “donut”? I also love Voodoo’s “Gay Bar” doughnut; seriously. “Donuts are gay bagels” – Rob Delaney
Also, dumb gripe: Why is Oktoberfest beer Märzen style? Märzen translates to March in German. Why not name the beer for when it is ready to drink instead of when it is brewed? Crazy Germans, putting beer in caves with huge ice blocks.
Orange County Breweries with Fall Seasonals:
- The Bruery Autumn Maple*
- Anaheim Brewery Oktoberfest
- Bootleggers – hell, 15 taps; one has to be a fall seasonal. (I got no reply)
- Cismontane – Märzen!
- Old Orange Brewing: Märzen Style OOBtoberfest (note they’re open during the Orange Street fest)
- Pizza Port San Clemente Panzer Pils Imperial Pilsner
Other CA breweries
- Sierra Nevada Tumbler: Autumn Brown
- Hangar 24, Redlands, Oktoberfest
- Alpine, Alpine SD, Ichabod: Pumpkin Ale
- Alesmith, Mira Mesa SD Evil Dead Red. I love the ABV is 6.66% (tap only)
- Russian River Hoptime Harvest – October
- Lagunitas Brown Shugga’
- If I left out one, let me know in the comments with a link!